Monday, March 29, 2010

Checking the knitting-bag

I learned something on my recent flights to and from BC: If you decide to carry a knitting bag you will be searched.

In fact, the young gentleman tasked with finding that elusive 1mm crochet hook (used for placing beads) will not only search your bag, but will just not get it.
The lunch is fine, as are the two containers of beads and six balls of yarn (wool, camel and linen). It’s with the needles that will give him pause.

“Questioning” is the kindest way to describe his vaguely disconcerted expression as he tests the tip of the first pair of knitting needles. The cable needles (37 inches and bedecked with in-process lace, beads and all) will be met with disbelief – and tested for sharpness.

By the time he reaches the sixth pair of needles, tucked away inside a secondary bag, he’ll have started avoiding eye-contact and will zip your bag up without a word before letting the x-ray attendant know it’s fine.

He’ll wave you on, wishing you a safe flight and hurriedly turn to the next, more usual passenger – the one who went through advanced screening with a three year-old.
He never will find that needle-like steel crochet hook.

The lady to check my bags returning to Ottawa was a little less perturbed and found the hook no problem. She then gave me the requisite funny look while I smiled and said it was for placing beads on the shawl I’m knitting (in my best cheery voice) and wished me a nice night.

No comments: